2016-02-15

#YogaCamp

Today is my last day of #YogaCamp by Yoga With Adriene. And I'm writing home. 

I went to yoga class in Saint-Petersburg around 8 years ago, but it felt strange and Soviet-like. Still I understood all the goodies it gives to the body and mind, used some asanas when my body asked me for it and loved yoga in general. 
When I was visiting Moscow last Fall my friend took me to a modern yoga class with that cool young and inspiring teacher. I attended 2 classes once a week – full of sweat and surprises – and was astonished by what my body can actually do. That wasn't my tempo though and days after were made of lactic acid and muscular pain (which is good, as it tells: you do have musculs, right?). Anyway it got me thinking. 
Back home I tried to re-create that practice and failed. Then I started to search for the key flows on YouTube and after 3 or 4 ugly videos came Adriene with her Surya Namaskara how-to sequence. She was so real and un-phony that I instantly fell in love and started exploring the channel. Morning by morning her cheerful voice was filling my living room, I was laughing with her when falling down ('Don't worry – I'll cath ya!' was exactly what I was expecting to hear!) and smiling with satisfaction getting back up. 
I was amazed that this American girl had nothing to do with all the stereotypic cheesy-sexy-glowing-fitness-chics that invaded yoga as well. Somehow she knew I don't need a six-pack, I just need to get to know my body better and make it serve me better. And yes, I have some issues with self love and my body acceptance, so home practice was a real godsend for me. Never thought I could learn such serious yoga things just following a nice (entertaining) video! Thank you Adriene for your priceless job! 
I did 30 Days of Yoga at the end of 2015, enjoyed it a lot (and it was challenging for me too). But I was in the middle of nowhere at that time, and when it came to building my own practice afterwords – I was puzzled. Imagine my bliss when I found out about upcoming #YogaCamp! This practice really resonated with my current state of being. The mantras kept it going deeper and covered all my worries and fears, gave me strenth to go on, made me smile more and be really present (which apparently is a hard work). It affected not only my yoga journey but also my everyday life and perception. Yoga Camp's opened my eyes, baby! (the third eye half open) Still have some pranayama job to do though. But it's also good – I'm just a human being after all. 
I was given a benefit to start the year in Thailand were I reside with my husband now. Hot yoga classes ads are all over the place as a constant reminder of keeping up with that practice, and the Big Buddha on the rock whom my windows fiercely face acts as a drishti when needed. So everything is how it should be (which was my addition to Day's 21 mantra 'I believe') and I'm enjoying being in the moment. 
Here's my calendar with all the mantras and things they touch in my present life, filled out with love:
But let Adriene speak for hereself now. This is her letter from Day 29, which made me say YES out loud as I was totaly agree with it: 
«Yoga is supposed to make you feel good! It should be a practice of self-love not depleting self worth, or worse - body shaming. 
After doing 30 Days Of Yoga last year it was clear that there were plenty of benefits that came out of starting the year off with a regular practice. It was clear that the 30 Day ritual was just that - a ritual, a ceremony - inspiration for regular practice and a celebration of one’s willingness to do the work.  
But even so, what good is doing the work if you are still unhappy?
With Yoga Camp we ask - what is the point of a rigorous workout if you still are waking up in the morning and looking in the mirror and not loving what you see?
What is the point of 50 chaturangas if you look in the mirror and don’t know who it is you see?
Who cares if you have a rocking body if your mental wellness is a hot mess!
Can we live a rich and beautiful life if we don’t love ourselves? 
So I’m poppin’ the BIG question today on Day 29.  
I’ll even get down on one knee.
Do you love yourself?
“I Do”» 
Let's start loving ourselves finally!
 
And there is one more thing that's just funny enough. The epitome at the bottom of the letter says: 
“Each moment is just what it is. It might be the only moment of our life; it might be the only strawberry we’ll ever eat. We could get depressed about it, or we could finally appreciate it and delight in the preciousness of every single moment of our life.” - Pema Chodron 
It is all about what I was thinking starting and naming this blog back in 2008, and understanding my whole life philosophy. Wow.  

No comments: